Back to index page for this reading.
- How often do you see sharks when you swim, surf or dive in the ocean?
- In your opinion, which of the following represents the greatest danger for people who swim in the ocean: stinging jellyfish, sharks, currents, big waves. Explain your answers.
- Take a guess! Approximately how many shark attacks occur worldwide every year? (Think about it! How often do you see articles about shark attacks in the newspapers?)
- There are many species of sharks. Are they all dangerous?
- What is the name of the most dangerous species of shark?
- How does the movie Jaws portray the shark?
- Is this typical shark behavior?
- Are sharks important to the ecology of the oceans? If so, how?
- What are the most dangerous animals where you live?
- Do these animals attack people without reason?
- Wild animals often inspire fear or even phobias (= irrational fears). For example, many people are afraid or rats. Do you think this fear is rational?
- Here are some common phobias. Do any apply to you?
- Fear of enclosed spaces
- Fear of open spaces
- Fear of insects
- Fear of flying
- Fear of crowds
- Fear of heights